Are you thinking that it is time to “get your house in order” when it comes to preparing for successful aging and a simplified, less overwhelming lifestyle? Are you considering a downsizing move in the future? Or feel that being fully prepared “just in case” is prudent?
Downsizers Club is a community for mature adults, of any age, committed to making downsizing easy! Made up of homeowners, senior living residents, and industry professionals representing real estate, senior move management, estate liquidation, and relocation services, our mission is to take the overwhelm out of the downsizing and relocation process.
At the same time, you will be presented with on-going information and resources from medical to legal considerations related to successful aging.
We learned a lot at this month’s Downsizers Club meeting. Members learned information about boxes and packaging when downsizing and moving. Packing up our items properly is so important to help ensure belongings will not move around and break. Downsizing should leave you OVERJOYED, not overwhelmed
Small – Typically Used for packing smaller Heavier items and to keep smaller spaces such as contents of Bathroom Drawers) all in one place:
- Family Room
- Utility Items
Medium – Typically Used for packing Larger Heavier Items:
Large – Typically Used for Lighter weight and/or Larger items:
What We Learned
- Pack Boxes so they are completely full but not bulging.
- Always plan to put heavier items in the bottom of the box and lighter in the top to avoid crushing and or breaking the things on the bottom.
- Stand Plates on edge, glasses should stand up not be laid on their side. Resist the instinct to use bubble wrap! It takes up too much space and is hard to work with.
- Resist the instinct to tape everything.
Few extra tips to help you get started downsizing, storing and packing
Downsizing can be a daunting task, but with a little planning and the help of a professional senior move manager, it can be a smooth and stress-free process.
1. Start with the easy stuff – downsizing doesn’t have to mean getting rid of all your belongings. Start by decluttering your space and getting rid of items you no longer use or need. This will make the packing process much easier.
2. Choose a storage solution that works for you – whether you’re downsizing to a smaller home or just need some extra space, self-storage can be a great solution. Choose a storage unit that’s the right size for your needs and make sure to pack your belongings carefully to prevent damage.
3. Pack smart – when it comes to packing, there’s no such thing as too much bubble wrap. Pack your belongings carefully and use plenty of padding to prevent damage. Label all of your boxes so you know what’s inside and consider hiring a professional packing service if you’re feeling overwhelmed.
Downsizing doesn’t have to be difficult or stressful. With a little planning and the help of a professional, you can make downsizing a smooth and easy process. Follow these downsizing, storing and packing tips to get started.
For more information or to sign up for Downsizers Club visit Downsizersclub.org.
Downsizers Club meets the 1st Tuesday of every month
at the new PBS Kansas Headquarters!